Thursday, November 10, 2011

Content in All Circumstances

I love reading Paul's letters, especially since becoming fully reliant on the saints for our salaries.  Again and again, I see how Paul's attitude was when he asked for help, and when he thanked his supporters.  In a modern world where support-raising is strange at best, and at worst taboo, it is so encouraging.

Today I was reading Philippians 4, and here's what I ran across:

"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength... I have received full payment and event more; I am amply supplied [by the] gifts you sent.  They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.  And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:11-12, 18-19

This passage encouraged me for a few reasons:

1) Like Paul, Elliott and I have experienced what it is like to be in want and what it is like to be in plenty.  And in both situations, we have learned that our only contentment comes from the Lord.  In everything, we need to be grounded in Christ Jesus -- our faith should never be in material comfort.  We pray that you can experience this type of contentment too, no matter your financial situation.  Our God is the God of all comfort, and he is LORD over ALL -- including our bank accounts.

2) Being amply supplied - Although we still need a couple more monthly supporters to keep us at a consistent monthly paycheck, we have had full support because of the generous gifts from our summer support-raising project.  This is the first time we have been at full support since I have joined the ministry.  It is amazing to be able to budget from a consistent paycheck. 

3) I love Paul's visualization here about the support being a fragrant offering.  Yes!  That's exactly how we see your giving -- a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice!  The ways that you support us go beyond earthly monetary value and are eternally valuable.  We receive spiritual blessings through asking for support, even when (and maybe especially when) it is uncomfortable for us to do so.  We are required to sacrifice our own understanding of what money is, and we ask you to do the same.  We pray that God WILL meet all your needs -- especially spiritual ones.


Thank you for your willingness to enter into a partnership by supporting us.  Your decision to support us is counter-cultural, and so Biblical!  I get so excited when I read Paul's words, and God brings to mind every single one of our supporters.  And, like Paul, we cannot help but consistently give thanks to our Father for your goodness shown to us.

Thank you!


Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment